How to cook meat products with your air fryer
Frozen meat can take a long time to cook if you are in a hurry. However, thanks to air fryer technology, you can now prepare a variety of frozen meat products in no time! From hamburgers to meatballs to various cuts of pork, this article has several delicious air fryer recipes for you to try. Using a deep fryer allows you to use far less oil than traditional recipes call for, while still getting the same flavorful meal.
1. Frozen burgers, turkey burgers and veggie burgers
Different types of burgers are a classic favorite. Although they are usually enjoyed grilled, this process can take a long time and is not always possible. By using an air fryer, preparing your favorite burger saves time and you won't notice the difference. Once your burgers are done cooking in the air fryer, toss them on a bun with your favorite toppings, serve and enjoy!
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients: your choice of frozen patties, nonstick spray
- Preheat air fryer to 182°C
- Spray fry basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking
- Place the patties in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Roast the burgers for 15 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
If the patties are not frozen, you can reduce the cooking time to 8-12 minutes. If using turkey patties, make sure the center is fully cooked to avoid unwanted bacteria.
For veggie burgers, check the cooking instructions on the package. If there are no specific instructions for your air fryer, you can use the cooking instructions by lowering the temperature by 20°C (36°F) and cutting the cooking time by about half.
2. Frozen Meatballs and Turkey Meatballs
Whether added to spaghetti or as part of a sandwich, meatballs are another popular way to prepare ground beef. Making meatballs from scratch is a long process and without a good recipe they can dry out and fall apart. Purchasing pre-made frozen meatballs not only saves time but also ensures your meatballs stay intact during cooking. Using your air fryer makes this process even easier and reduces cooking time.
Cooking time: 9 minutes
Ingredients: frozen meatballs of your choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C
- Place the meatballs in the fry basket
- Cook for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
You can use this method with frozen meatballs, no thawing required. Shaking the air fryer basket frequently during the cooking process will ensure the meatballs cook evenly and are nice and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. No oil is needed for this recipe.
3. Pork dumplings
Pork dumplings are breaded and fried resulting in a crispy golden brown treat. However, deep frying introduces extra calories, making this dish heavier than necessary. Using a deep fryer will reduce the amount of oil needed, allowing you to make a healthier version.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients: Pork fillet cut into pieces, 264g flour, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon paprika, pinch of cayenne pepper, 500ml sparkling water, flour for dusting, non-stick spray
- Dust pork pieces with flour, shaking off excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, and sparkling water to form a batter. Beat until smooth.
- Preheat fryer to 182°C (360°F).
- Dip the flour dusted pork into the batter.
- Spray fry basket with non-stick cooking spray
- Place the breaded pork in the air fryer basket in one layer.
- Sear the pork for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway through.
- The pork dumplings are ready when the breading is browned and the pork is cooked through.
For a hearty sauce, combine 1 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon whole wheat mustard, 10 tablespoons (30g) chives, and salt and pepper to taste. To serve, add chopped cilantro and thinly sliced green chillies to dumplings, dip and enjoy! This sauce gives breaded pork a sweet, tangy, and creamy flavor.
4. Pork loin
Pork loin is a tender and juicy dish that combines with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables for a delicious feast. However, it can sometimes take up to 2 hours to finish in the oven. Luckily, using a deep fryer can make this process a lot quicker. You can even cook the pork loin while it's still frozen, allowing you to prepare a delicious meal even faster.
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Ingredients: 900 g pork loin, choice of spices, choice of oil
- Preheat fryer to 180°C.
- Drizzle the pork fillet with olive oil and rub into the skin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the pork.
- Place the fillet in the fryer and cook for 50 minutes (25 minutes per 450g of pork).
- When the pork is done, remove from the Airfryer and cover with aluminum foil.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
If the roast beef is frozen while cooking, add 10 to 15 minutes to the cooking time. To ensure the loin is fully cooked, pierce the thickest part with a knife. If the liquid that runs out is clear, the pork is done. Another way to tell is to use a meat thermometer and make sure the pork reaches 140F.
5. Pork Chops
Pork chops can be difficult to cook properly, as they easily overcook and become dry and tough. To avoid this problem, a lot of butter or oil is often added to the pan to keep the chops moist. Unfortunately, this adds a lot of sneaky calories to your meal. Alternatively, air fried pork chops are juicy and tender without all the oil.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients: 6 ounces pork chops, oil of your choice, seasonings to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 194°C.
- Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel.
- Brush the pork chops lightly with oil and brush all sides with it.
- Season pork chops with desired seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic and smoked paprika.
- Place the pork chops in the air fryer basket for 10 to 14 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking.
- Test the chops to ensure they are fully cooked and add more time in the air fryer if needed.
Cooking times may be increased or decreased depending on the size of your pork chops. You can check the doneness of the pork chops by turning them halfway through cooking.
6. Breaded pork loin
Crimped pork loin is a popular dish in the Midwestern United States. The pork is thinly sliced and then breaded for a crispy topping. Often served in a sandwich, it makes a delicious lunch or dinner.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients: Pork loin (thawed), 2 large eggs, ¼ cup milk, 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to taste, nonstick spray
- Cut the roast beef into ½ inch rounds.
- Place rounds between two sheets of plastic and pound until each piece is ¼ inch thick.
- Mix eggs and milk in a wide bowl.
- In a separate bowl or pie plate, add the breadcrumbs.
- Dip each piece of pork into the egg and milk mixture, draining excess water.
- Then dip the pork in the breadcrumbs and coat each side with it.
- Place the breaded pork on a wire rack for 30 minutes to ensure the coating adheres.
- Preheat fryer to 204°C.
- Spray fry basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the breaded roast beef in the basket in a single layer.
- Roast the roast beef for 10 minutes, then remove, turn and spray with more cooking spray.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
For a twist on the classic BLT sandwich, serve breaded pork tenderloin on a bun with your choice of spices, lettuce and tomato.