RUBY'S 6 TAYER RAINBOW CAKE
WITH STRAWBERRY GANACHE
Well, here's the post about that cake 😉 To be honest, it was one of the easiest cakes I've ever made. It probably took as long to make as usual orders, but so easy. Don't be put off by its size! YOU CAN! And I'll tell you step by step how!
Ruby's 4th birthday party order was rainbow cake. And then she added the princess theme afterwards... I already planned the cake, so then the princess dolls on top. I found this one at Target, I think the set of 4 with all the clothes is around $30. I did part of the gift and told her she could have them after the cake 😉
So first you need the pies - this is a recipe I changed a bit, adapted to my needs and then converted from a Maggie Beer recipe I found in a magazine. It was very easy to color and work with and it was the perfect amount to get two colorful cakes from each batter. Here's the recipe for one batch, I'll put the full shopping list for the three cakes, ganache and buttercream at the end of the post.
130g Butter (room temperature)
80 g of extra virgin olive oil
250g brown sugar
1tl of vanilla bean paste
2 all owner
250g self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon powdered yeast
- addButterflyfor the TM bowl. Add the butter, sugar, olive oil and vanilla paste to the bowl. Start mixing on speed 4 until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- When you are satisfied with the appearance of the dough (generally between 1 minute and 1.5 minutes), reduce the speed tospeed 3. Continuing to mix, add the eggs through the hole. Add each egg separately, giving about 15 seconds at a time to mix well. Add each of the gems in the same way. It takes about 3 minutes for the whole process. (steps 1 and 2)
- Stop blending and scrape the edges. When you are satisfied that everything is well mixed, add HALF the flour, yeast and buttermilk to the bowl.Blend at speed 3 for 30 seconds.
- Again scrape the edges of the bowl and add the remaining flour, baking powder and buttermilk. Blend for 30 seconds at speed 3. You can leave another 10 seconds at speed 4 to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Once you are satisfied with the mixture, divide the mixture in half. I used two shapes (about 22 cm). I left half of the mixture in the thermos to mix with the color and mixed the other half by hand. I found this the easiest way.
- Use the gel colors for the most vibrant color. I used the Wilton brand and added a few drops and mixed before adding more until I reached the desired colors. I used the Wilton colors. I bought mine at Kitchen Warehouse, but I found it cheap on this site -Bakplezier
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You need to test the cake and make sure the toothpick comes out clean. It should move away from the edges a little.
- Be sure to use Coloring Gel. And they are very potent - best to use the small amount and add more later.
- I made my own butter and was able to use the buttermilk in pies too.
- While each cake is baked and cooled, I cut off the top flat, wrapped in aluminum foil, and placed in the freezer. I did this with all the pies so it was easier to work with frozen pies when I was ready to assemble.
- I found these cake pans at Kitchen Warehouse ($16.95). They were perfect because I could make them the right size and keep them thinner at the same time.
300G Strawberries (peeled and halved)
20g brown sugar
200 g white chocolate (cut into small pieces, if not in knots)
100 g milk chocolate (cut into small pieces, if not in knots)
- Put the strawberries and sugar in the TM bowl and pre-boil5 minutes 100 degrees at speed 3.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl. Once cooked, pour the strawberry mixture through a fine sieve and into the chocolate mixture. (See image below) Discard the strawberry pulp.
- Clean and dry the TM bowl and add the strawberry chocolate mixture back to the TM bowl. mix to4 minutes on speed 3 at 70 degrees.
- Make sure the chocolate is completely melted. Once it's completely melted, it's ready to use. It should have a smooth syrupy texture.
Chocolate buttons ready for the strawberry sauce!
Strawberry syrup passing through the sieve.
BUTTER CREAM ICE CREAM –
150 g butter (room temperature)
300 g brown sugar (ground into icing sugar. If leaving the icing white, use pre-ground white icing sugar.)
1 spoon of milk
Add all ingredients and mix for 20 seconds at speed 8.
There's a bit of an art to buttercream if you ask me 🙂 It's very feel and see. If you feel it needs a little more milk or icing sugar to adjust the texture. You will need two batches to cover the cake completely. You can color the frosting in the bowl or do it by hand to adjust the color until it's perfect. This cake is very elegant, left the white... In this house it's pink, pink, pink!
CAKE ASSEMBLY -
- Take the cakes out of the freezer (if you freeze them first) just before you start working with them.
- Determine the assembly order of the colors.
- Place the first cake on the serving plate. This is important, the cake will be VERY heavy when finished.
- Spread a thin layer of ganache over the cake.
- Use some of the buttercream around the edges to help the cakes stick together.
- Add the next layer and repeat adding the buttercream for the edges and a layer of ganache.
Build the tower!
The Cake Tower. You can tell by this photo that the cake is really forgiving, some are bigger than others / some are a little wobbly - you really don't notice when it's on the cake. Also at this stage it looks a bit ugly... think of it as the ugly duckling!!
- Once you're done stacking, use a serrated knife to trim the edges of the cake and make it even. Again, you can be as careful as possible to stay in shape, but some chances will really go unnoticed!
- After cutting the cake, you need to remove the crumbs from the bottom. The tip here is to use a damp paper towel.
- Spread everything out and cover with a thin layer of ganache. Start with the sides in case you fall short. The top can survive without a layer, but it will help you apply the buttercream on the outside.
- After covering the cake with the remaining ganache, add the buttercream. Start at the top and work your way around.
- To be honest. I ended up putting on a pair of gloves and applying the buttercream by hand. I noticed when I used the spreader that it crumbled the cake a bit. It was much easier using my hands. I then used the cake spreader to go over it once it was frosted to give it a nice texture and finish.
- When it was completely frozen, I put it in the fridge to firm up. I left it there overnight.
- I found Spotlight's rainbow wool for a few dollars. I wrapped some wool around it.
- We also had to have some princess dolls wearing a top with pride! These have since been replaced by the other 45 dolls that belong to Miss Ruby!
- I used fondant to open and cut out the word RUBY. I cut them out of a ready-made, colored fondant. It was very easy to cheat this time 🙂 Here is the brand I used –BakplezierI found them at Kitchen Warehouse. They were $14.95 a roll and their shelf life is huge! The word is applied to the cake using 22 gauge cake wire.
- You need time for the fondant to dry and harden.
And I hope you like your rainbow cake!!!!
Rainbow cakes are an often requested birthday cake as well as for baby showers. Rainbows symbolize hope and beauty or fortune after a storm. They also signal inclusivity and pride—plus they are colorful and fun!How many 6-inch cakes will a box mix make? ›
1 boxed mix will make three 6-inch cakes. 2 boxed mixes will make three 8-inch cakes. 2.5 boxed mixes will make three 9-inch cakes.What flavors are in over the rainbow cake? ›
The 'rainbow' is in the filling between seven layers of lemon cake, iced in our lemon flavored buttercream. From bottom to top the fillings are: blackberry, blueberry, lime, lemon, orange and raspberry.What are the rainbow cakes called? ›
|Alternative names||Flag cookie, Rainbow cake, Neapolitan cookies, seven layer cookies, Venetian cookies, seven layer cake, Italian flag cookies, tricolor cookies, tricolore|
|Place of origin||Italian Americans|
|Region or state||New York City|
A rainbow is often a sign of hope, the beauty after the storm, a pot of gold and good fortune at the rainbow's end. For many, a rainbow carries a personal symbolic meaning–representing inclusivity and diversity, an all-embracing image of love and friendship.How much batter do I put in a 6 inch round pan? ›
- 6-inch round: about 12 ounces batter.
- 8-inch round: about 24 ounces batter.
- 8-inch square: about 28 ounces batter.
- 9-inch round: about 28 ounces batter.
- 10-inch round: about 35 ounces batter.
- 2-inch cupcake: about 1 3/4 ounces batter.
What should a 6-inch cake be used for? These are pretty small cakes. On average, you can get between 4-8 portions from a single cake. The more you try to get from it, the smaller the portions will be (depending on the height).How many people does a 6 inch 6 layer cake feed? ›
Based on cakes that are between 3 and 6-inches high, a 6-inch round cake will yield 5-11 servings; an 8-inch round will yield12-16 servings; and a 9-inch roundwill produces 12-16 servings.What do you put in the middle of a cake? ›
- Chocolate Filling.
- Strawberry Cream Filling.
- Raspberry Filling.
- Apricot Filling.
- Cream Cheese Filling.
I highly recommend using gel food coloring. Gel food coloring is incredibly concentrated, so it allows you to use less. A couple drops will create beautiful, bright colors. Gel food coloring is also thicker, and won't change the consistency of the cake batter.
This Rainbow Cake has a mild vanilla and cream cheese flavor due to the vanilla layers that are sandwiched together with cream cheese frosting.What is Hawaii rainbow cake? ›
Three layers of chiffon cake – Guava, passion fruit, and lime.What is Italian rainbow cake made of? ›
Italian rainbow cookies (also known as tri color cookies) require a little planning, but they're quite easy to make. Thin layers of soft almond cake are sandwiched together with sweet raspberry jam, then coated in chocolate. It's cake disguised as a cookie!What is Elvis Presley cake? ›
It's basically a pineapple poke cake, but in its own way. Apparently, Elvis used to ask his Grandma to make him this cake every time he visited, for good reason – and that's it's called Elvis Presley cake.What does 🌈 mean from a girl? ›
🌈 Rainbow emoji
, it's commonly used to express LGBTQ identity and pride.
The Rainbow Flag emoji portrays a rainbow flag, a flag with six stripes of the rainbow. This particular flag is used to represent the LGBTQ community and is used to express Pride in this community.What does the Bible say about rainbows? ›
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.What are the spiritual symbols of cake? ›
What does a cake symbolize? Cakes are the symbol of sweetness and celebrations. The good times do not need an excuse to knock at your door. This is exactly what a cake denotes in dream.What is the symbol meaning of cakes? ›
Cakes Signify Milestones
Apart from bringing more happiness to the celebration, a cake can also symbolise success and milestones. For example, having a cake during a birthday occasion can mean celebrating the life of the birthday celebrant.
Though a cake is a wonderful thing: the care and patience required; the sweet indulgence; the ceremony; the extravagant simplicity. It is a metaphor for love.
Quotes. Crying Girl : [reading from paper] I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy... Damian : [shouting from back] She doesn't even go here!Which cake is prosperity symbol? ›
Traditionally a symbol of prosperity, the Fa Gao is commonly a significant cake during festive celebration like the Chinese New Year or during prayer ceremony as offerings to Chinese deities. The name of the cake is a pun and literally translates to “prosperity raise”, meaning more prospered and higher in all aspects.What is the cake story in the Bible? ›
The Widow of Zeraphath is about to use the last of her flour and oil which stood between her son's and her own starvation, when along came Elijah and told her to make him a cake. Her condition is so severe that she is ready to call it quits and die.What is the object lesson with cake in the Bible? ›
Some of the cake ingredients by themselves didn't taste very good, but when everything is mixed together we have a delicious cake to eat! God is able to blend the good and the bad experiences in our lives together for our good. All together they create a life that is meaningful, useful, and tasty!What is the prophetic meaning of cake? ›
Baking cakes in the dream is a way of telling you that a victory, celebration or new set of people are about to come into your life, and this could have a great impact on your emotional life.What cake represents the queen? ›
When we learned that the Queen of England is obsessed with this Chocolate Biscuit Cake, a decadent layering of chocolate and rich tea biscuits (the most dunkable of English cookies), we knew it was the sweet for us.What does fairy cake mean? ›
noun. British. : a very small cake that is baked in a pan shaped like a cup : cupcake.What is the proverb about a piece of cake? ›
Meaning: To be easy. Example: No problem, it should be a piece of cake. Meaning: A portion of the money or profits that are being shared by everyone involved in generating them. Example: Winning the account was a team effort and all the team members should get a slice of the cake.What is a cake in a relationship? ›
Not only is heat absolutely necessary to bake a cake, heat is necessary to bake a “relationship cake.” We often refer to this as intimacy, which is any form of close contact between partners that lets the other know that they are there and that they care.What is the slang meaning of cake? ›
"Kilogram of Cocaine" is a common definition for Cake when talking about illegal drugs. Cake. Definition: Kilogram of Cocaine.
Not only the most colorful cakes of all but also tastes really amazing with vanilla and cream cheese notes. A super delicious and fun cake to make from scratch, you will love it!What does cooling the cake upside down mean? ›
Its rise is created by the egg whites and until it cools, its structure is not set. Allowing it to cool upside down ensures it doesn't collapse. Many angel food cake pans come with feet around the edges for this very purpose.Can you ice a rainbow cake? ›
Start with the red, then spread with some icing right to the very edge. Repeat, sandwiching on top the orange, yellow, green, blue and finally purple sponges. Spread the remaining icing thickly all over the sides and top of the cake.